Saturday, July 7, 2012

brighton


Brighton 

Last weekend I had so much fun visiting Ce -the amazing dyer behind the Uncommon Thread. It was my first time in Brighton (ahem, Hove actually) but certainly not my last! Brighton is such a vibrant city with loads to do and explore. It was lovely to get a little dose of some city things I've been missing too - vintage clothes, restaurants, coffee shops, cheese stores. I didn't realize just how much I missed them until I saw them again. Funny how that works.

tiny sewing machines

I loved these little sewing machines! They were part of a big street market that we happened upon.
Brighton

I am nowhere near an authority on the subject, but I will say that I loved the architecture of Brighton as well. The regency homes (that are now mostly flats, I believe) were my favourite. I love their weather beaten exteriors and grand old features.

Brighton

The pier was lovely, if not incredibly windy! I grew up next to Lake Ontario - it's very large and beautiful, but I am falling in love with the sea since I've been in England.

Brighton

I finished knitting this Terra shawl while I was in Brighton, and the pier proved to be the perfect backdrop for some quick pics - the wind came in handy too!


I was very lucky to have an expert hand wielding the camera for me. Ce snapped some fantastic pictures of yours truly. 

tera shawl

tera shawl

 I used 3 skeins of Coldharbour aran wool. Interestingly, it was not spun at Coldharbour, in fact I have no idea where it was spun. I bought it when I first arrived and was itching to cast on something satisfying and mindless. Of course, this shawl was anything but mindless. I wasn't expecting that my move to another continent, starting a new job and meeting all new people would throw off my knitting, but it did! I had to rip out the lace so many times I lost count in the end.

Brighton

I also had the chance to meet Ce's knitting group. Dani, the incredibly talented dyer behind Lioness Arts, Emma and Amy were all lovely and so much fun to spend the evening with. I love properly meeting "internet friends" and was not surprised to find that they are loads of fun! Having such a nice time at knitting did make me miss my Toronto knitting group quite a bit (hopefully you are reading this ladies!)

On that wistful note, I am off to enjoy a relaxing Saturday afternoon. Probably have a cup of tea.

4 comments:

  1. I love this pink jacket... is it new?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, it's my pinky jacket from 69 vintage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Em,

    You have a way of making a pattern we haven't noticed before look amazing.
    I am good, Steve is sweet, leonard is perfect.Ian is becoming a pain in the ass at times, but he is nine, and that is his job.
    Chris is doing well, Brenda is happy at school.
    Small towns are good, but cheese and vintage are better!

    There.....you don't have to miss us anymore :)

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lucky girl! I didn't realize when you closed down your etsy shop that you were off on adventures in the UK.

    ReplyDelete